Alex leaves Atlanta heading directly toward Philadelphia at 8:00 a.m., traveling at 50 miles per hour. Heidi leaves Philadelphia, 600 miles away, heading directly for Atlanta at the same time, traveling at 70 miles per hour. At what time will they pass each other?
A. 1 p.m. B. 2 p.m. C. 2:45 p.m. D. 3 p.m. E. 3:30 p.m.
1) The distance between Atlanta and Philadelphia is 600 miles.
2) Heidi starts in Philadelphia and Alex starts in Atlanta, both at the same time, 8:00 a.m. Alex travels at 50 miles per hour, while Heidi travels at 70 miles per hour.
3) After T hours they met. The formula for distance is speed × time = distance. Therefore Alex drove 50T miles, while Heidi traveled 70T miles.
4) The sum of the distances they travelled is the whole distance between Atlanta and Philadelphia. So we have the following equation: 50T + 70T = 600 120T = 600 T = 5
5) 8:00 a.m. + 5 hours = 1:00 p.m. The correct answer is A.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot post attachments in this forum
GMAT(TM) and GMAT CAT (TM) are registered trademarks of the Graduate Management Admission Council(TM). The Graduate Management Admission Council(TM) does not endorse, nor is affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this site.