• Board contributors include instructors with "800" GMAT scores.
  • 95% of posts have replies within 24 hours.
  • Join for discounts with 800score, VeritasPrep and ManhattanGMAT

FAQ  - Register  - Search - Login 

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Sentences
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:35 pm 

I was told that the sentence correction aspect of the GMAT is the hardest. I never really learned grammar. I mean, I know where to insert commas and periods and that sort of thing but it seems like there are a lot of complicated rules. Do any of you have any suggestions ? Maybe I'm a singular case, I dunno, but I think that I don't learn grammar the right way when I was in school. Is it possible to prepare for sentence correction within the next 3 months ?

Post subject: Re: Sentences
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:12 pm 

Hey Tony,

Its totally possible. I strongly suggest before you touch any of the GMAT prep manuals that you read a 50 page little book called Elements of Style by Strunk and White. Its small, easy to read, has a ton of examples and condenses everything you need to know to properly write English sentences.

After you have read the book, then go in to your prep manuals and employ what you have learned in SW. Another bit of advice is that you should read the manual several times. Its so short that you can read it quickly. Every subsequent time the reading will run a little faster because you can skip the topics that you are 100% concrete on.

Try it out,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Sentences
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:01 pm 

Yeah the guru knows what he is talking about. I had horrific sentence correction scores on my first GMAT. After reading Strunk and White about half a dozen times, the sentence correction section of the verbal portion is the easiest part for me.