• Board contributors include instructors with "800" GMAT scores.
  • 95% of posts have replies within 24 hours.
  • Join for discounts with 800score, VeritasPrep and ManhattanGMAT

FAQ  - Register  - Search - Login 

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: First Time GMAT prep
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:25 pm 

Hi Steve,
I never had any kind of analytical or IQ tests in my career. I am not either bright student in Math or analytical skills. But I do have a dream to pursue MBA form reputed university.
I started thinking to take GMAT classes. I actually have no idea how the GMAT tests are of like and even not sure if I will meet the goal in 3 months. I have the determination, but I also need confidence to achieve. My only concern is how well do I carry on this detrmination.
I am now in my mid 30's and working. I do have engineering background,a 4 year degree.
Any helpfull tips or sugegstions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: First Time GMAT prep
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 am 

Hey Raj,

The best advice I can give you is don't rush it. Don't restrict yourself to 3 months. In order to master the GMAT, you have to incorporate it in your life. Just like you shower, eat, brush your teeth, and go to work at certain times for certain durations, your GMAT study should occupy a consistent part of your life on a daily basis.

You should not obsess about the score you are interested in. That will drive you mad. What you have to do is focus on learning the necessary material, tips, and tricks that will get you the score that you want. You should also gauge your progress weekly by using real CAT tests. I know that 800score.com and Manhattan GMAT have reputable material you may want to consider using.

Lastly, you want to make sure the other aspects of your life are not thwarting your ability to focus. Bad relationships, quarrelsome people, financial limitations, a bad diet, not enough sleep...etc can affect your ability to focus. You want to make sure that when you are studying you are not only focused but in a peaceful sentiment that lends itself to intellectual absorption and the employment of your creativity.

I hope this has helped you a bit. Where are you from ?

Take care,
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 am 

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I am from India. How do I get the material frmo 800 socre or Manhattan. Can you please guide me. How do we decide which GMAT course provider are the best, like I have seen some fo them Kaplan,Veritas,Manhattan,800score. What is the significant difference between these institutions. Once we have the GMAT score, how is the admissions process going to be taken care by these institutions.
Thanks
Raj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:42 am 

The admissions process does not consider your GMAT preparatory courses as criteria for admission. The factors that will determine whether you get in or not are

GMAT scores
Grade Point Average
Recommendations
Essays
Resume

As far as the differences between all the courses are concerned. I cannot speculate, since I haven't taken any of them. I am a moderator on this forum and a full time GMAT instructor. I never really had a need to take any of the courses so I can't access. However, the feedback that I get from my students indicates that the ManhattanGMAT course is pretty good.

I hope this helped,
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:34 am 

Hi Steve

can you pls throw some light on, scaling of the scores.

v35 and Q48 score is 700
v36 and Q48 score is 690 . with more verbal score, total score reduced to 690 ?
v37 and Q48 score is 690