• Board contributors include instructors with "800" GMAT scores.
  • 95% of posts have replies within 24 hours.
  • Join for discounts with 800score, VeritasPrep and ManhattanGMAT

FAQ  - Register  - Search - Login 

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Business School Myth or Truth ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:03 pm 

Ok guys, here goes. I want to go to a good business school. I went to Queens College as an undergrad and studied econ. I have been working at a small hedge fund. The money isn't great. The word is that the better of a business school I go to, the more money I'm gonna make. Others tell me that it doesn't matter and that its based on experience. Lets hear it, whats the deal, should I be isolating myself and becoming a recluse for the sake of going to the best business school, or is it not such a big deal at the end of the day ?

Post subject: Re: Business School Myth or Truth ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:42 pm 

Hi AEK,

There is both truth and myth to what you are saying. It is true, after a while the most important aspect of your resume is your experience. Where you worked, what you did, and what your previous employers have to say about you is the key factor to getting where you want to be in the business world.

Where you go to business school is just as important, however. Where you go to business school will determine where you land your first job and internships. The best companies will recruit from the best schools. Your salary will be higher, and so you will increase your salary brackets as you move up the ladder faster. And, you want to make acquaintances in business school with people who are smart and ambitious who you will interact with later in your career. Also, the resources available to you by attending the best business schools are incomparable to mediocre ones.

So, where you go to business school will determine where u land your first job, and who you network with. In turn, that will bring forth more lucrative opportunities and make you part of more dynamic networks of businessmen and businesswomen.

The point is, don't give up on the GMAT, it is the most important test of your life. In general, how you do will ultimately determine what you will make in the business world.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Business School Myth or Truth ?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:46 am 

business school will determine your future.