• Board contributors include instructors with "800" GMAT scores.
  • 95% of posts have replies within 24 hours.
  • Join for discounts with 800score, VeritasPrep and ManhattanGMAT

FAQ  - Register  - Search - Login 

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Essay Writing - What do they want from me?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:42 pm 

Hey,

Amidst this crazed frenzy I currently find myself in, I think that its probably a good Idea to start looking into the essays that I have to write for the schools I'm interested in. I'm from New York and I like living here, so my top choices are NYU, Columbia (praying), Baruch, and St. Johns (Safty). Any insight as to how to begin writing a dynamic essay ?

Post subject: Re: Dynamic Essay Writing - What do they want from me?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 pm 

Hi again Kelly,

Every school has a focus. They want students that are going to conform to that focus, to their philosophy. For example, NYU is all about thinking out of the box and unique expressions and stuff like that, Columbia is more about theory and practice balancing...etc.

The trick to writing a good essay is to study the school first. Read about any recent speeches that the current dean has given. Watch introductory videos on their websites, read public relations publications, email tenured faculty members, go to school orientations, have consistent dialogues with admissions advisers...etc

After you have a clear picture of what the school is about, then you write an essay tying your self in to their program. They have to feel as though you are going to fit in. They also have to feel that you understand the school and that our goals are consistent with theirs.

Steve

Post subject: Re: Essay Writing - What do they want from me?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 am 

You have to increase word strength ang good imagination skills for essay writing.

Post subject: Re: Essay Writing - What do they want from me?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:18 am 

Hi, Learning how to write an essay can be a maddening, exasperating process, but it doesn't have to be. If you know the steps and understand what to do, writing can be easy and even fun. when i was in university, i wrote a violence against women essay. I scored good grades. I believe that it was due to my hard practice. If you write more essays, you can write well.