• Board contributors include instructors with "800" GMAT scores.
  • 95% of posts have replies within 24 hours.
  • Join for discounts with 800score, VeritasPrep and ManhattanGMAT

FAQ  - Register  - Search - Login 

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: GMAT assistance
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:28 pm 

I am targeting a Top 20 school and need to score high on the GMAT. I would like to get a hands-on guide about the latest trends and techniques required to score well in GMAT

Post subject: Re: GMAT assistance
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:27 am 

Hey Kanea,

I have been a GMAT instructor for about a decade. My students get an average of 170 point increase in their overall scores though my lessons. The material that I use is published by 800score.com and by Manhattan GMAT. Of all the stuff that is out there, I have found their manuals to be well written, comprehensive, and user friendly. In addition to the Manhattan GMAT and 800score stuff, you should buy yourself a copy of Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" and the official guides published by GMAC.

A lot of my students buy huge amounts of books and spend a lot of money for a lot of nonsense. These simple guides are all you really need to do extremely well on the GMAT.

I hope this was helpful,
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:44 am 

why do you suggest Elements of Style? what was your experience with it? 800score lays out graphics and teaches grammar in an effective way and so does mgmat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:38 am 

Elements of Style was written a long time ago by a Cornell professor. The scope of the text was to embody all grammatical knowledge necessary for students at Cornell to write with proper English grammar use. English grammar, unfortunately, has dissolved over the last two decades in American educational systems. It has almost become forgotten or ignored.

The GMAT's sentence correction section tests this forgotten art. Business schools expect their students to be able to communicate clearly and uniformly. They expect students to know how to use proper English grammar rules. Studying Strunk and White will give you a competitive edge in the sentence correction section of the GMAT and it will also make you a more effective writer. If you properly employ it, it will be of profound use to you in both the essay section and the SC section. In my teaching experiences, everyone that has used it has seen great results.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 am 

Knowing the directions for the questions beforehand will save you valuable time. But remember the directions for the questions in the GMAT Test might be slightly different from the ones in your study material. So always read the instructions but do it quickly.