• Board contributors include instructors with "800" GMAT scores.
  • 95% of posts have replies within 24 hours.
  • Join for discounts with 800score, VeritasPrep and ManhattanGMAT

FAQ  - Register  - Search - Login 

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Math Speed
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:32 pm 

Does anyone have any suggestions in how I can amplify the speed in doing my GMAT quant problems ? I know how to solve the problems, but it takes me a while to do it. Last time I took the GMAT, I got all the math problems that I actually did correct, but I didn't get to the last 9 problems, which is 25% of the quant section. So my problem isn't in solving, its in speed. How do I get over this slump ?

Post subject: Re: Math Speed
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:41 pm 

Hey Steve,

Okay, so you know what do do, but you want to do it faster. Here is what works for me:

(1) Read the problem very carefully the first time. Do not continuously revert back to the problem. Make sure once you have read it that you know exactly what you are looking for. Most students forget about the big picture and get tangled up in the details. The most important thing is to make sure you are focused and you have a clear picture of what exactly you are looking for.

(2) Do not be overly analytical and mechanical. These problems are not really math problems. Math is just a vehicle that the GMAT uses to test your ability to reason. In most cases you can reason out the solution without doing complicated arithmetic. In other words, the less math you do, the better off you are. You want to really get down to the nuts and bolts of the problem. The problems are designed to be done in under two minutes. If you are spending more than that on a problem, one of two things is happening: 1. You are not completely familiar with the material or 2. You are thinking too much about the details and not enough about the big picture. Remember, every problem has a tricky logical angle. The most successful examinees reason the solution out with very basic symbolic calculation.

(3) Practice. Repetitive practice is good. Do problems all the time, even if you have done them before. Doing a problem that you have done before, several times, starts lending itself to some insight. You figure out easier and faster ways to solve it. The more problems you solve, the better off you are.

I hope these bits and pieces help.

Steve